Tuesday 31 March 2015

Mojo Rising

No, I haven't suddenly turned into Jim Morrison (although I'm now going to have that running round my head for the rest of the night! But it beats Kenny Rodgers' The Gambler which I've been humming all day!!) but I'm been making stuff.  I know!  I'm shocked too.

It started with this, how to make a quick blocked piece by pressing squares onto light interfacing.  It stayed in this pressed, but unsewn stage for a few weeks then I sewed the seams together and I now have a rough finished cushion top.  (which i do have a photo of, but it seems to have vanished at present!)
Then I bought the book in this picture Lynne Goldsworthy & Kerry Green's 500 Quilt Blocks which I've wanted for a while and it kind of got my mojo going.  Plus the fact that I am part of a bee for the Siblings Together charity and my month was fastly approaching and not only was I behind on my block for others but I hadn't decided what month was going to be!  (I'm also doing some quilt maths in this photo)
So a little visit to the Scottish Quilt show in Edinburgh last month ended with this purchase, a much needed new rotary cutter (which is brilliant by the way) and the need to try it out.
For February Pat asked for bright string blocks.  I think these should do the trick, the photo isn't great.  The rubbish weather is not good for taking decent photos but you can get the gist!

These are the blocks for March for Susy who wanted nautical themed blocks based on nautical symbols she had found on a piece of fabric.  These are my takes on her theme - the colours haven't come up very well but I really like the top left block which is aqua and pale orange.
 So tomorrow is the start of my month as Bee Mama (eek!)  I've never been part of a Bee before so it's daunting and exciting all at the same time.  Will my instructions be clear, will they think my blocks are easy to follow or too complicated, or too boring?

I've gone with green, blue and low volume/pale neutrals as my colour scheme and the economy block as my theme and come up with this
I'm really looking forward to see what everyone else comes up with!

There is some other things bubbling away but maybe I'll save that and maybe blog more than once a month!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome :) please feel free to comment, I do read them. I will respond to all comments, maybe not very quickly so I apologise in advance, but y'know sometimes we'd all like more hours in the day to fit everything in.