Friday 11 October 2013

Life @ 4 (continued)

We had an invite to the Dude's nursery today for a little sort of show and tell session.  A tour of the nursery by the Dude and a chance to look through his development book.  We had the same thing last year just after he'd started and it was really good to see him through the eyes of others.  We had never used anyone other than family for childcare so it was interesting to see how he interacted with others.

This year it was good to see how much he has developed in 12 months.  He's not one for drawing or painting, if you ask him what he wants to do, he rarely opts for arty stuff.  Although he will do something if he has a particular thing in mind.  Like this the other day - quite obviously it's a rocket, including the rocket boosters on the bottom!
But his key worker (who is only temporary, as his usual worker is on sick leave) made a comment when we were being shown the 'numbers' area that made me laugh.  She can see him as a 'numbers geek' in the future.  Then she kind of apologised and stressed that she meant geek in a positive way.  I'm more than happy for my boy to be a maths geek in the future - he certainly doesn't get his fascination with number from me or his daddy!  Geeks rule!

I also came across a list of questions I did with the Dude back in June.  It was something a friend had on facebook that she had done with her son and I loved them. 

Q:  What is the meaning of life?
A:  Mmm - Bug's Life

Q:  What do you want to be when you grow up?
A:  the Captain of the submarine

Q:  What makes you happy?
A:  Happy things! Like getting to watch the telly

Q:  When do you feel loved?
A:  What's loved?  I don't know

Q:  If you could have one wish what would it be?
A:  Being the captain of the submarine.  Me: Which submarine?  D:  the yellow one!

Q:  What is the funniest word?
A:  A clown

Q:  What is the hardest thing to do?
A:  Build a high tower

Q:  What is the easiest thing to do?
A:  Building a low tower

Q:  What is the best thing in the world?
A:  You, mummy, of course  (I did not provoke this response!)

Q:  What is the worst thing in the world?
A:  Rain

Q:  What makes you angry?
A:  I don't know

Q:  If you had all the money in the world what would you buy?
A:  Ice cream and stuff (cookies apparently)

Q:  What does love mean?
A:  I don't know

I'm planning on doing them again next month, so roughly six months after the first time to see how his answers have changed.  It was fun doing this, kind of like interviewing my own child.  It's great seeing him turning into a little person with his own thoughts and plans.  I don't want to fast forward time but it's exciting thinking about him starting primary school next year to see what he enjoys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome :) please feel free to comment, I do read them. I will respond to all comments, maybe not very quickly so I apologise in advance, but y'know sometimes we'd all like more hours in the day to fit everything in.